Mar 14, 2008

Pet Food Safety

Most of the furor over the huge pet food recalls has died down, but now some new information has arrived - a 2004 recall that was attributed to contamination with mycotoxin (a naturally occuring grain contaminant) now appears to have been the same combination of melanime and cyanuric acid contamination as the most recent case. An article in the Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation reports that necropsy findings from the affected dogs in the 2004 Asian case and the 2007 U.S. case are identical. Because the 2004 case occurred in the Philippines, Japan, and Hong Kong, we didn't hear much about it in the states. But it was massive. And once again, the ingredients originated in China.
So I have to ask - when are we going to wake up and realize that more needs to be done to ensure the safety of our food supply, not just for our pets but for ourselves? What other combinations of potential contaminants aren't being tested for because they just aren't expected to happen? How can we have any assurance that anything is safe? Shouldn't food at least be labeled with country of origin so that we can choose on that basis? Now that seafood products are labeled, I can avoid tilapia farmed in China if I so choose. But why only seafood? With recall after recall, ranging from pet food to toothpaste to latex dog toys, why isn't our government looking more closely at this issue? Could it be because of the billions of dollars our country owes to their country?
For our pets, at least, we can choose to avoid Chinese imports. Ask the manufacturers of your dog's food where the ingredients originate. Any of the organic products will be happy to tell you that there's nothing from China in there, and that all ingredients have had to pass an additional level of inspection. Look at the companies that didn't have any foods involved in the most recent recall. You'll know they weren't and aren't importing glutens from China.
It seems we have to do our own due diligence, rather than relying on government inspections. If you won't do it for yourself, at least do it for your dog.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Thank you for bringing this issue to the fore. I've always fed my four-legged companions a better, more well-balanced diet than I have eaten. I've been looking even more carefully at pet foods and will now start to ask questions before I buy food that I will consume.
~Darlene

Tess Downey, Kokopelli Kennels, Baltimore, Ontario said...

This pet food issue is a very scary thing. Over the Christmas holidays I was relying too much on commercial foods, the one in particular that I had been feeding my dogs for years. Then over the holidays I started to notice my Golden was loosing handfulls of his undercoat. The dog food had changed formulas and lables but was supposed to be basically the same food but my Alix was starving and lost 5lbs in a very short time. Can you imagine a Golden who had to wear a doggy coat all winter? It was sad but the worst part was then my 2 Australian Shepherds also lost their undercoats and some weight but not as much at the Golden and had to wear coats as well.

Prior to this I had been feeding mostly the raw prey diet and am back to that and when I do have to feed kibble I am feeding Legacy, made by Horizon here in Canada. there is also a great food (Canadian made) Innova (not sure of the spelling) but it's not available where I live but several of the puppies I have place have gone to homes where they can get the food in their areas.

All my dogs now have amazing coats, bright eyes and their health is back to where it was before Xmas but all the expense of vet bills and coats for the dogs would have been so unnecessary, (not to mention what my dogs and I went through during this time,) had the dog food company been on top of the situation as well as our Canadian Govenment to keep the standards high.

Regards,